HomeVisa Ventures: A Guide to Australian Tourist VisasAustraliaVisa Ventures: A Guide to Australian Tourist Visas

Visa Ventures: A Guide to Australian Tourist Visas

With its breathtaking scenery, energetic towns, and distinctive wildlife, Australia attracts tourists from all over the world. Whether your dreams involve visiting the famous Sydney Opera House, going on an Outback exploration, or swimming in the Great Barrier Reef, an Australian trip is unlike anything you’ve ever experienced. Individuals must be aware of the several types of tourist visas available before even setting foot in Australia. In this blog, we’ll go over the many Australian tourist visa types.

  • Visitor Visa (Subclass 600)
    One of the most popular visas for visitors to Australia is the Visitor Visa (Subclass 600). It permits people to visit family and friends, take vacations, and travel to Australia for tourism-related activities. The duration of this visa can be extended to a lengthy stay (up to twelve months with the possibility of extension) or a short stay (up to three, six, or twelve months). In addition to having enough money to maintain themselves throughout their stay, applicants must meet specific health and character standards.

    Australia offers several streams under the Visitor Visa (Subclass 600), and according to the purpose of the visit, each stream has specific requirements and restrictions. These streams include:
    1. Tourist Stream (Apply Outside Australia) (Subclass 600): This stream is reserved for people who want to visit Australia for leisure, family, or social reasons without a sponsor. Applicants must be physically outside Australia during the application procedure and the decision-making phase. They are not permitted to receive medical care or conduct business while there. The visa is only valid for up to 12 months, but parents or stepparents of Australian citizens or permanent residents may be exempt.
    2. Tourist Stream (Apply in Australia) (Subclass 600): Designed for individuals already in Australia who wish to extend their stay for tourism or social reasons, this stream does not require sponsorship. Applicants must remain in Australia until a decision is made. While tourism is permitted, engaging in business or medical treatment is prohibited. The visa allows for a maximum stay of up to 12 months, during which limited study or training is allowed, but it’s advised to apply for a student visa for proper study purposes. Working or conducting business activities is not permitted.
    3.  Sponsored Family Stream (Subclass 600): This stream needs sponsorship and is meant for people travelling to visit family or friends in Australia. Visitors are not permitted to conduct business or receive medical care. Tourists can remain in Australia for a maximum of 12 months. The visa permits restricted study or training; however, working is prohibited during this time. Applicants must be from outside of Australia.
    4. Business Visitor Stream (Subclass 600): Applying for this stream is open to anyone wanting to participate in business-related events, including trade shows, conferences, or seminars. Direct selling of goods or service provisions to Australian organisations is forbidden, while discussions and other business activities are permitted. The applicant must be outside of Australia during the application process and the decision-making period for the temporary visa, which is typically granted for three months.
    5. Approved Destination Status Stream (Subclass 600): This stream is only available to nationals of the People’s Republic of China. Before their visas expire, participants must depart with the tour group. Applicants must apply for a visa from China, which can be issued for one or more entries.
    6. Frequent Traveller Stream (Subclass 600): This stream provides a multiple-entry visa valid for up to 10 years, aimed at frequent travellers from China for personal or business purposes. A visitor may stay for up to three months every visit; Australian authorities set the length of stay. Tourists might participate in business, vacation, family, or tourism activities during their visit.
  • Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) Visa (Subclass 601)
    Under the Electronic Travel Authority (ETA), people from eligible countries, including the United States, Canada, Japan, and several European nations, can travel to Australia for business visitor activities, to visit family or friends, or for a cruise or holiday. This visa allows multiple visits to Australia over a 12-month period, with each stay limited to a maximum of three months. This simplified visa process makes travelling for pleasure, family reunions, and business engagements easier.
  • eVisitor Visa (Subclass 651)
    Citizens of certain European nations, such as Belgium, Denmark, Greece, Monaco, Sweden, and so on, may apply for the eVisitor Visa (Subclass 651), which is intended for brief visits to Australia for either business or tourism. It permits multiple entries into Australia for a maximum of three months, with each stay lasting a 12-month period. Because the entire application procedure is online, authorised travellers can apply conveniently.
  • Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) & Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)
    • Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)
      Young people between 18 and 30 can travel to Australia while working briefly with the Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417). This temporary visa is intended to promote travel and work experiences and permits holders to stay in Australia for a maximum of 12 months. Applicants must have a passport from a country that qualifies to be eligible. After being granted a visa, holders can engage in temporary or casual employment to fund their exploration of Australia’s extensive and diverse landscapes. It’s important to remember that this visa is not available to people who have dependent children. Under the Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417), there are three distinct streams:
      First Working Holiday Visa: First Working Holiday Visa holders are allowed to work in Australia for the duration of their visit. If they want to stay longer, they can also apply for a Second Working Holiday Visa, should certain requirements be met.
      Second Working Holiday Visa: During their stay, individuals in this stream are free to work in various capacities. However, they must have completed three months of specified Subclass 417 work to be eligible for an extension. Similar to the First Working Holiday Visa, holders who fulfil the requirements can apply for a Third Working Holiday Visa.
      Third Working Holiday Visa: Similar to the Second Working Holiday Visa, people can work in any capacity while in Australia. However, it is again necessary to complete three months of designated Subclass 417 work to be eligible for an extension request.
    • Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)
      For young adults between the ages of 18 and 30, the Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462) is a short-term visa programme that lets them see Australia’s attractions while funding their travels with part-time work. This visa programme is perfect for those who want to earn money to cover their travel expenditures while immersing themselves in Australian culture and lifestyle. Applicants must have a valid passport from an eligible country to be eligible for this visa. Once granted, a visa holder’s freedom to work for a short time or on a contract allows them to fund their travels and activities around the nation. This visa allows for a maximum 12-month stay, which gives visitors plenty of time to explore Australia. Furthermore, this visa programme provides three separate visas with the option of extension.
      First Work and Holiday Visa: As long as they don’t have any dependents travelling with them, holders of the First Work and Holiday Visa are free to work in Australia. If they want to stay in Australia for longer than the first year, they can apply for a Second Work and Holiday Visa, provided they fulfil certain requirements.
      Second Work and Holiday Visa: This allows its holders to work in Australia in any capacity as long as they fulfil the requirements of Subclass 462 within three months. This clause increases the range of options accessible to participants, making their experience more varied and fulfilling.
      Third Work and Holiday Visa: This visa is for anyone looking to stay in Australia for an extended period of time. To be eligible for this extension, individuals must have completed six months of specified Subclass 462 work, demonstrating a commitment to contributing to the Australian workforce and taking advantage of its lifestyle.


Investigating and choosing the best visa for your trip needs is important while organising your Australian vacation. Knowing the many visa alternatives will help ensure a smooth and comfortable trip to Australia, whether going on a quick vacation, looking for work, or visiting family and friends. Furthermore, always visit the Australian Department of Home Affairs‘ official website to stay updated on the most recent visa rules and regulations. This will help you stay informed and avoid any unexpected issues that may arise while travelling.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *